Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Jambo! from Nairobi

Hello to all,
We're in Nairobi at Shenaz Aunty and Abu Mama's place and its really been quite a trip so far for me especially.  (Reena)  The flight was SO LONG- I've never experienced one as long, but they fed us every 5 mins so that part made me happy.  One time I even woke up to ice cream in front of me mmm... By the way, THASH, We saw Waqar at the airport going through security - I probably shouldn't have yelled out to him across the security room, and then of course I went on to ask him where he was going (PAKISTAN).  Talk about drawing attention to us haha... OMG and apparently they've passed a new law that you can't sneeze or blow your nose in public (cuz of H1N1 thing) and I'm the Queen of blowing my nose and having such a hard time (especially cuz I'm sick).

I can't believe I'm actually FINALLY in Africa!  There's a draught here so the fruit trees aren't growing and the monkeys aren't visiting Shenaz Aunty's balcony!  I'm praying for my buggles to visit!  Nairobi's traffic is insane - I've never seen gridlock like this before and such craziness- I would NOT be able to drive here.  Today we went to Brookside (yes, buggle, where you used to live and I took pics for you), we saw the Aga Khan Hospital, and Town Khane, etc.  AND where mum used to live when she was at school here, which was very cool.  I only wish I could speak swahili because it sounds like a beautiful language and I'd love to be able to understand the Africans!.. Ok, on to MUM now...

Zeenat:
Feels GREAT to be back in Nairobi after SO many years!  Although, Nairobi has grown and changed so much - I don't recognize many of the streets.  And Reena's right - Traffic like I've never seen before!  Not even in Mexico City, or even India!  Felt nostalgic visiting where I used to live (Abdul Mama's place) when i was studying here.  Also drove down the street we used to walk to school on!  Dharkhana Jamatkhana brought back lots of memories although it was sad to see so few people.  It used to be packed with people even sitting on the stairs on big occasions.

Had awesome Chinese Food tonight, eating OUTSIDE (yes, in October!) under the trees. (See pic)  Looking forward to visiting my school tomorrow. 

That's it for today, we'll talk to you all soon!  Miss you all,

- Zeenat, Vinod and Reena

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys,
    I'm glad to hear you're having lots of fun already (minus the crazy driving). We all miss you here, although I have to say I'm jealous of the hot weather. It's soo cold here. Reena, if you see a monkey, make friends and bring him home. I'm sure Buggle, baby buggle, Tarzan, and the rest of the crew would like to meet him.
    So, um, yeah, thanksgiving is cancelled (ahem) because Reena said I had to cancel it. We will all sit on Sunday and eat pizza or something. hah.
    Enjoy being back home Aunty Zeenat and I look forward to hearing more about the trip!
    love ya
    -Anisha

    ReplyDelete